ticker

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Sunday, February 20, 2011

wild fantasies

Get your mind out of the gutter.  Not those kind of wild fantasies.

I'm counting down the days until I see the "diet doctor" at my bariatric office.  Technically she's an internist who works at the bariatrics office so I have no idea what she can possibly offer me, I've never met her before.  She's the person who will decide whether or not my case will be resubmitted with the correct BMI....the dietician said this doctor "has some options for me."

Cryptic...don't you think?

So...you know me.  I'm a dreamer.  I've been fantasizing.

About clinical trials.

Yes, the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center is currently recruiting for two studies although I don't meet the criteria for any of them.  One of them is looking for type 2 diabetics.  Another is looking for people who've already had WLS and still have a BMI between 35-40.  The third study is no longer accepting participants---but it was looking for people to get the intragastric balloon inserted into their stomach for six months.  If you are interested in looking at those clinical trials you can see them here.

So then I thought, well, there have to be more clinical trials going on other places.  Maybe I can find one of those!

I came across this site listing lots of clinical trials here.

Because I've already lost weight, there aren't a whole lot of studies who are looking for people in my BMI category but there are a few.  I'm going to print out a few of these clinical trials and take the information into my doctor's appointment when I see her on March 8.  In my fantasy, this is her idea---to find me a free way to get surgery.  But if not, I'll suggest it myself.  I'm even willing to get the gastric sleeve.  I just want a permanent solution.  I'd prefer to avoid gastric bypass (the malabsorption issue just seems harsh to me) but I'm open to something other than lap band.  It was my number one choice but something is better than nothing.

My red balloon is still flying you guys!  This balloon is now almost two months old.  Isn't that crazy?!?  I still have faith.  Yep, I cried myself to sleep on Friday night, but I'm over it now.  As Judi says, ONWARD!  Thank you all SO MUCH for all of your sweet comments on Friday.  You really brighten my day.  With you guys all behind me, I don't feel alone.  And my balloon keeps me going.  I think it put these clinical trial fantasies in my head.  Maybe something will come of it, who knows?

4 comments:

  1. I'm praying it definitely does, hon. Even if it's not a clinical trial, she wouldn't be calling you in if she didn't have SOME kind of solution, right? If not, maybe we should start a petition?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to hear what she has to say!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hun! I am so sorry about your denial. Those darn insurance companies suck. It sounds like you have a good shot with the panel. Sometimes, all it takes is them knowing you're not going away. Keep your chin up.

    ReplyDelete