LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Monday, June 6, 2011

i have some news

Let's start with the bad news:  My 3 year old was kicked out of Kinder Nature Camp this morning.  The age range of his class was 3-5.  He was the youngest, but still.  They said he wasn't ready for group participation.  The director said he was "really sweet", but was more interested in exploring ants, bees, and dirt off by himself.  She told me he could finish the week if I were able to be there with him one-on-one.  But I didn't want to do that with a 1 year old in tow.  Maybe next year.  :(

Now for the good news.

I'm getting the sleeve!!!!  I went to the seminar Saturday morning.  Can't say I learned anything I didn't already know....but afterwards everyone got a chance to do their psych consult, nutrition consult, and meet with the surgeon.  It took about 4 hours.  When I met with Dr. Patel, he said he was able to accept all of my test results from Pittsburgh, I just needed to redo the nutrition consult because I had been planning on getting the band.  Everything else was fine:  the psych consult, my upper GI series, my EKG, etc.

We discussed a tentative date of July 18.  I didn't set it in stone because I wanted to make sure that worked for my family.  Now I have to wait for my "patient advocate" to contact me and set it up for sure.

I'm so excited!!

If I get the date of July 18, we still have some logistics to work out.  Such as---will I take my little boys down there with me?  If so, how long will I stay before feeling well enough to fly back with them in tow?

OR---should I fly down by myself and go back rather quickly?  What do you think?  Is it crazy to fly in on a Sunday, have surgery on a Monday, stay in the hospital Monday night (it's just a one night stay), THEN fly home by myself on Wednesday?

Please tell me your thoughts.  I've had 2 c-sections and I felt pretty good after 4 days.  Sore---but good.



  1. Lee Ann.....
    First, can I tell you how thrilled I am for you! I just returned from a little jaunt to your neck of the woods---met a friend for lunch at Vento's Pizzo (yummm!) and I was thinking of you. I'm so happy I checked in to get this news! Can't wait to follow you and your progress.
    As for my advice.....hmmmm.....I'm thinking that you should probably go alone and come home either the day after or give yourself 2 days. That is, if it would work out with your childcare wrangling. That's just my 2cents.
    I know it probably didn't feel "cute" to learn that your child was kicked out of camp but let me tell you, it brought an instant smile to my face. About 20 years ago, my son ESCAPED from COMPUTER SCIENCE CAMP (climbed out a window....lol)because he wanted to go to the store and get a drink. He was gone for over an hour before he was recovered (the camp probably didn't even know he was gone!). He ended up being found at a Giant Eagle by an employee of the store! He was expelled the next day. I still can't believe I was more upset with HIM than I was with the camp (A 6 year old climbs out a window??? geez!) I was positive it was the beginning of the end of his computer science career. And, to think---he's getting his PhD in Computer Science!!! LOL.
    So happy I stopped by to check on things here!

  2. Congest! Tha is so exciting!! I would probably go down aline, give yourself day or two or more if you can, and thn come home to the boys. I had no complications and went to work 2 weeks post op...but everyone is different. July 18 will be here in no time! Congrats!

  3. So so so excited for you!!! I think take as much time as you need since you'll have your family to help.

  4. I am so excited for you too! My advice would be to see if you can go by yourself and then come home two days later like you said. I think while you may be feeling ok to travel, the responsibility of having the 2 little ones with you may be too much. If you can't leave them home, I would plan on staying a day or two longer if you can. You'll be with your parents, right?

  5. I would say take a couple of extra days- I'm just 4 days out from my band removal and just starting to feel human again. It has been more painful having it removed than putting it in and I have a drain this time to deal with (I think it is something they do with sleeve patients as well). It just seems like it could be pretty uncomfortable to fly if you are just out of surgery a day or two.
    Congratulations on your somewhat firm date! Can't wait to hear more about your procedure since I am considering a sleeve in the future as well.

  6. That is great news!!! I agree in taking at least 4-5 days after surgery before you fly back.

  7. P.S. I gave you the Adorable Blogger Award today! See my blog for details...

  8. Congrats, I know you have been waiting patiently. The magic balloon works. I would say with my C-Sections and band surgery it took about 3-4 days to feel normal...be good to yourself...take time to really heal.

  9. Nominated you for the adorable blogger award.